I’m Tom Christiansen, co-author of Programming Perl and Perl Cookbook from O’Reilly. I work for Grant Street Group, who are always looking to hire more Perl programmers. I can (sometimes) be reached via email at <firstname.lastname@example.org>, but that address is heavily spam-filtered so just because you sent me something doesn’t guarantee that I’ll’ve read it. I’ve lived in Colorado for the last quarter century, but have previously lived abroad in Spain and England. I try to spend as much time as I can in the Colorado mountains.
I’ve been doing Unix and C programming since the early 1980s. My programming interests include high-level languages, Unicode, regexes, and operating systems. My old O’Reilly bio from ages ago mutters various ancient things about me, and some folks have gone and put up a silly Wikipedia page about me, too. As a kid I lived down the street from Gary Gygax of Dungeons and Dragons fame, and worked for TSR throughout high school. I have ancient undergraduate degrees in Spanish and in Computer Science, plus a graduate degree in compsci focusing on operating systems design and in natural language processing. I’ve studied Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Latin, and German, along with a smattering of related languages thrown in.
The maxim that “If you haven’t lost track of how many languages you’ve learned, you haven’t learned enough of them yet” applies to both programming languages and natural languages alike.
- English Language & Usage♦ 125.6k 125.6k 4848 gold badges343343 silver badges536536 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 75.6k 75.6k 2828 gold badges121121 silver badges173173 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 11.5k 11.5k 22 gold badges3737 silver badges6161 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 7.5k 7.5k 11 gold badge3030 silver badges4141 bronze badges
- Portuguese Language♦ 3k 3k 22 gold badges1818 silver badges3636 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 1168 Why does modern Perl avoid UTF-8 by default?
- 700 What to do Regular expression pattern doesn't match anywhere in string?
- 485 Matching numbers with regular expressions — only digits and commas
- 390 Why 11 am + 1 hour == 12:00 pm?
- 243 Unicode equivalents for \w and \b in Java regular expressions?
- 217 Is there any way to put malicious code into a regular expression?
- 210 What Unicode characters represent "time"?
- View more network posts →