After many years as a beta site, Portuguese SE will soon graduate into a full-fledged site!
The main aspect of this change is symbolic: it's a recognition of Portuguese Language's maturity and value for the SE network. Congratulations and thank you to everyone who has contributed!
In practical terms, at first, this new status will have little effect besides the removal of the "Beta" label from the site's name:
But a number of changes will gradually take place over the next year(s), probably including:
- New moderator elections (all moderators on beta sites are pro tempore)
- An update on the voting privileges thresholds (done carefully, on a case-by-case basis)
- Being able to run community ads (which would be very welcome) and selectable for migration
- Some light site design customization
The way forward
This is a good moment to think about how to make our site grow further.
By far our weakest performance in the traditional measurements is the number of questions we get — it's been a worry from the beginning (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and it hasn't really improved so far. Although statistics aren't everything (and we are, after all, making it out of beta regardless), one question a day is not great for a language with a quarter of a billion speakers and tens of millions of learners. We can do better.
It'd be great if everyone of us would:
- Vote more, both up and down — this is very important
- improve posts (including titles) by editing them yourself or suggesting changes
- promote Portuguese SE whenever we can:
- link to it
- mention it, talk about it, both online and in person
- direct askers to the site
- share great questions/answers around
The site has come a long way (Thanks again!), but its potential is even bigger, let's do our best to realize it.